Managing The Fear Of Loneliness: By Stanley Popovich
By: Stanley Popovich
Many people deal with the fear of living alone. Loneliness can make someone feel depressed and unhappy so its important to not let being alone be a factor in your life.
Here is a list of techniques that a person can use so that the fear of being alone doesn’t become a major issue in their lives.
- The first step is to find an activity that you enjoy and where you can meet a lot of people.For instance, joining a group activity such as a volleyball group, women’s club, or making crafts can be a great way to meet people. Doing something that you like to do will make you happy and will increase your chances of making friends.
- Spending time with animals can be a great source of companionship.Whether you have a dog or you go to your local shelter, spending time with an animal or pet can help us to feel better. Animals can be of good company to all of us whether we are alone or not.
- Helping others through community service can be of some help.There are many people out there who could benefit from your time and talents. Helping others can give you a source of pride and accomplishment and also can lead to friendships.
- It isn’t fun being alone, but sometimes there are worse things.For instance, imagine that you are married or stuck in a relationship that you can’t get out of and also makes you miserable. Not only do you have to live with this person, it would be difficult to get out of the relationship because of various financial or personal reasons. As a result, you are stuck living with someone that you can’t stand and makes you depressed every single day of your life. With this viewpoint, being alone doesn’t sound that bad.
- Spending time with God can help.Spending time with God and asking God for help in your time of loneliness can be of great comfort. You never know how God will work in your life. Including God in your every day living can help reduce your loneliness. Talk to a priest or minister if you are unsure on what to do.
- The important thing is to do something constructive.Sitting around and doing nothing will not make things any better whether it is dealing with the fear of being alone or something else. Take it one day at a time and stay committed in trying to solve your problem.
Fresh Hope is a faith-based non-profit that empowers people to live well in spite of their mental health challenge.
YOUR gift will provide a person with God’s Fresh HOPE for daily living. Click here to donate, today.